Sunday, February 3, 2008

German Bakery

Baltimore Sun German Bakery article vs. Baltimore Sun German Bakery slideshow


Though the multimedia version of the story was much more entertaining than the plain text version, the story itself was written well enough for me to envision a scene that was pretty close to what I saw in the video. I think Nicole Fuller did a good job of bringing the German seniors to life and portraying Edelweiss Bakery as a comfy getaway for them. Fuller included a lot of quotes to keep the writing lively and revealing, “I enjoy it - good food, good fattening bakery food. I played with a band for 35 years. They all died on me. Mostly German,” says accordion-playing Charlie Rutkowski. With the text, you get more background information about German culture and hear more about the lives and memories of the patrons such as the renaming of German streets and when the German language was taught in public high schools.
The media version of the story has one big obvious advantage to it which is seeing something visually is normally easier to comprehend. For example, throughout the text they speak of German music, I have no idea what German music sounds like, therefore the audio gave me a new understanding of the story. It was also nice to see some of the foods because again, I’m not too familiar on German food. However, I still preferred the text version of the story because I feel like I got more information about the bakery and its customers. The video was nice, but it’s very condensed in comparison.

No comments: