Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Hip Hop and Poetry

I love hip hop. I love hip hop. I love hip hop. But by hip hop I certainly don't mean the junk on the radio these days. I'm only 20 but I find myself sounding really old when I tell people, "music isn't like what it used to be". Though I wasn't really around, or least old enough to comprehend, when some of the best rappers were here, I know their music. Nas, Lauryn Hill, Rakim, TuPac, Common, BIG, The Roots, Talib Kweli, Wu Tang etc.. are some of the legends. They had rhymes that if put to paper, could easily read a poem. They are poets before rappers. I love hip hop when it's intellectual, inspirational, and just plain real unlike most garbage these days. I don't want to sound like a basher, however, that's exactly what I am, but catchy songs concerning rims, bitches, and weed need to stay off the radio and in clubs where they belong. I know that no other thing in the world inspires me to write poetry other than good music. Music sets the mood and can take you to places in your mind that only a true lyrical genious can take you, and I love going for the ride.

No comments: