So I mentioned earlier that a lot of good hip hop reads like poetry to me, I just wanted to show a couple of my favorites. Common's in love, Lauryn preaches about the all too true things that's wrong in the world and BIG tells you about a real rags to riches story:
Common "The Light"
I never knew a luh, luh-luh, a love like this
Gotta be somethin for me to write this
Queen, I ain't seen you in a minute
Wrote this letter, and finally decide to send it
Signed sealed delivered for us to grow together
Love has no limit, let's spend it slow forever
I know your heart is weathered by what studs did to you
I ain't gon' assault em cause I probably did it too
Because of you, feelings I handle with care
Some n***** recognize the light but they can't handle the glare
You know I ain't the type to walk around with matchin shirts
If relationship is effort I will match your work
I wanna be the one to make you happiest, it hurts you the most
They say the end is near, it's important that we close..
.. to the most, high
Regardless of what happen on him let's rely
There are times.. when you'll need someone..
I will be by your side...
There is a light, that shines,
special for you, and me...
Yo, yo, check it
It's important, we communicate
and tune the fate of this union, to the right pitch
I never call you my bitch or even my boo
There's so much in a name and so much more in you
Few understand the union of woman and man
And sex and a tingle is where they assume that it land
But that's fly by night for you and the sky I write
For in these cold Chi night's moon, you my light
If heaven had a height, you would be that tall
Ghetto to coffee shop, through you I see that all
Let's stick to understandin and we won't fall
For better or worse times, I hope to me you call
So I pray everyday more than anything
friends will stay as we begin to lay
this foundation for a family - love ain't simple
Why can't it be anything worth having you work at annually
Granted we known each other for some time
It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine
It's kinda fresh you listen to more than hip-hop
and I can catch you in the mix from beauty to thrift shop
Plus you ship hop when it's time to, thinkin you fresh
Suggestin beats I should rhyme to
At times when I'm lost I try to find you
You know to give me space when it's time to
My heart's dictionary defines you, it's love and happiness
Truthfully it's hard tryin to practice abstinence
The time we committed love it was real good
Had to be for me to arrive and it still feel good
I know the sex ain't gon' keep you, but as my equal
it's how I must treat you
As my reflection in light I'ma lead you
And whatever's right, I'ma feed you
Digga-da, digga-da, digga-da, digga-digga-da-da
Yo I tell you the rest when I see you, peace
There are times.. when you'll need someone..
I will be by your side...
There is a light, that shines,
special for you, and me...
(I'll) take my chances... before they pass...
.. pass me by, oh darling..
You need to look at the other side...
You'll agree
Lauryn Hill "Mystery of Iniquity"
It's the History of Iniquity
And It All, All falls Down
I'm Tellin You All, it all Falls Down
Children Eat Your Bread
Little Children Eat Your Bread
Cause It All, All Falls Down
I'm tellin You all, It All Falls Down
Y'all can't handle the truth in a courtroom of lies
Perjures the jurors witnesses spies
Crooked lawyers false indictments publicized
It's entertainment the arraignments the subpoenas
High profile gladiators in blood thirsty arenas
Enter the dragon black robe crooked balance
Souls bought and sold and paroled for 30 talents
Court reporter catch the circus on a paper
File it in the system
Not acknowledged by the Maker
Swearing by the bible
Blatantly blasphemous
Publicly perpetrating that in God we trust
Cross examined by a master manipulator the faster intimidator
Receiving the judge's favor
Deceiving sabers
Doing injury to their neighbors
For status, gratis, apparatus & legal waivers
See the bailiff representing security
Holding the Word of God soliciting perjury
The prosecution, political prostitution
The more money you pay, the further away solution
Legal actors, babylon's benefactors
Masquerading as the agency for the client
Hypocritical giants, morally non compliant
Orally armed to do bodily harm
Polluted recruited & suited judicial charm
And the defense isn't making any sense
Faking the confidence of escaping the consequence
Now the defendant is dependent on a system
Totally void of judgement
Purposely made to twist him
Emotional victim blackmailed by the henchmen
Framed by intentions inventions whereby they lynch men
Enter the false witness slandering the accused
Planting the seed openly
Showing he's being used
To discredit edit headed for the alleged
Smearing the individual fearing the unsuspected
Expert witness the paid authority
Made a priority to deceive the majority
Of disinterested peers dodging duty for years
Hating the process
Waiting to return to their careers
Do we expect a system made for the elect
To possibly judge correct
Properly serve and protect
Materially corrupt, spiritually amuck
Oblivious to the cause
Prosperously bankrupt
Blind leading the blind
Guilty never defined
Filthy as swine
A generation pure in its own mind
Legal Extortion blown out of proportion
In vain deceit the truth is obsolete
Only 2 positions, victimizer or victim
Both end up in destruction
Trusting this crooked system
Mafia with diplomas
Keeping us in a coma
Trying to own a piece of the American Corona
The revolving door, insanity every floor
Skyscraping paper chasing, what are we working for?
Empty traditions, reaching social positions
Teaching ambition to support the family superstition
When the son of perdition is commander in chief
The standard is thief
Brethren can we candidly speak
Woe to the men
Trusting in the chariots them
Leaning on horses they run
To intellectual sources
Counterfeit wisdom creating the illusion of freedom
Confusion consumes them, every word they speaketh entombs them
Outwardly white, internally they're absent of light
Them trapped in the night & bondage to the 'caine in the night (Canaanite)
Under the curse, evil men waxing more worse, faxing the first
Angelic being cast to the earth, it's time for rebirth
Burning up the branch and the root
The empty pursuits'
Of every tree bearing the wrong fruit
Turn and be healed
Let him who stole, no longer steal, oh Israel
Surrender for Jehovah is real
How long will you sleep
Troubled by the thoughts that you keep
The idols you heap
Causing the destruction you reap
Judgment has come
Find it and return to the One
Abandon the flesh
Self-interest "broadway to death"
Pride and the greed hiding subdividing the seed
The knowledge of good and evil is what caused us to lie
Caused us to die
Let your emotions be crucified
Renounce all your thoughts
Repent and let your mind be retaught
You'll find what you sought
Was based on the deception you bought
A perception of naught where the majority remains caught
Loving a lie, not realizing in Adam all die
It's the mystery of Iniquity
It's the Misery of Iniquity
It's the History of Iniquity
Oh And It All, all falls Down
I'm tellin You All, it all Falls Down
Notorious BIG "Juicy"
Yeah, this album is dedicated to all the teachers that told me
I'd never amount to nothin', to all the people that lived above the
buildings that I was hustlin' in front of that called the police on
me when I was just tryin' to make some money to feed my daughters,
and all the n***** in the struggle, you know what I'm sayin'?
It was all a dream
I used to read Word Up magazine
Salt'n'Pepa and Heavy D up in the limousine
Hangin' pictures on my wall
Every Saturday Rap Attack, Mr. Magic, Marley Marl
I let my tape rock 'til my tape popped
Smokin' weed and bamboo, sippin' on private stock
Way back, when I had the red and black lumberjack
With the hat to match
Remember Rappin' Duke, duh-ha, duh-ha
You never thought that hip hop would take it this far
Now I'm in the limelight 'cause I rhyme tight
Time to get paid, blow up like the World Trade
Born filla, the opposite of a winner
Remember when I used to eat sardines for dinner
Peace to Ron G, Brucey B, Kid Capri
Funkmaster Flex, Lovebug Starsky
I'm blowin' up like you thought I would
Call the crib, same number same hood
It's all good
You know very well who you are
Don't let em hold you down, reach for the stars
You had a go, but not that many
'cause you're the only one I'll give you good and plenty
I made the change from a common thief
To up close and personal with Robin Leach
And I'm far from cheap, I smoke skunk with my peeps all day
Spread love, it's the Brooklyn way
The Moet and Alize keep me pissy
Girls used to diss me
Now they write letters 'cause they miss me
I never thought it could happen, this rappin' stuff
I was too used to packin' gats and stuff
Now honies play me close like butter played toast
From the Mississippi down to the east coast
Condos in Queens, indo for weeks
Sold out seats to hear Biggie Smalls speak
Livin' life without fear
Puttin' 5 karats in my baby girl's ears
Lunches, brunches, interviews by the pool
Considered a fool 'cause I dropped out of high school
Stereotypes of a black male misunderstood
And it's still all good
Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis
When I was dead broke, man I couldn't picture this
50 inch screen, money green leather sofa
Got two rides, a limousine with a chauffeur
Phone bill about two G's flat
No need to worry, my accountant handles that
And my whole crew is loungin'
Celebratin' every day, no more public housin'
Thinkin' back on my one-room shack
Now my mom pimps a Ac' with minks on her back
And she loves to show me off, of course
Smiles every time my face is up in The Source
We used to fuss when the landlord dissed us
No heat, wonder why Christmas missed us
Birthdays was the worst days
Now we sip champagne when we thirst-ay
Uh, damn right I like the life I live
'Cause I went from negative to positive
And it's all... good
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment