Tuesday, May 15, 2007

My First Poem

I wrote my first poem after recieving a floral printed diary from my bus driver. It's weird how certain details stick out about that day like the fact that the bus I rode was #46 and that my bus driver was fat and had a mullet. Nonetheless she was really nice and gave me the diary for Easter. It had a gold lock and key, the key I've put on a necklace and wear a lot now. I went home and couldn't wait to write in it but to my dismay I couldn't think of anything to say. I remember thinking for hours of what to write... perhaps I'd write the names of my best friends, or all my favorites in the world, or what I did that day, but I drew a blank. The diary set on my burrow for weeks until finally it came to me- that I would write a poem. At the tender age of about 8, I wrote a poem about my non existant mother and father. It wouldn't dawn on me until years later just how savvy I was to write something with such adult themes including drugs and sex. I still have the poem and everyone who I let read it (the very few), just says "wow". I encourage everyone to write because looking back on some of the stuff I wrote, I was obviously disturbed and I know it helped me vent.

No comments: