Tuesday, May 15, 2007
New World's First Poem
I found an article online that was written on Thursday, September 14, 2006 claiming that the New World's first poem has been found. Here's the link: http://www.cbc.ca/arts/story/2006/09/14/mexico-archeology.html?ref=rss. The stone was discovered in Veracruz, Mexico and researchers think that it is also the the earliest form of text in America. The writing was found on what is known as the Cascajal block. The block was found by oblivious road builders in a pile of debris in the community of Lomas de Tacamichapa, Mexico, in the late 1990's. The block weighs approxiamately 26 pounds and is carved of the mineral serpentine. It measures 36x21x13 in centimeters. The carved script consists of 62 signs, some of which are repeated up to four times. The photograph of the block reminds me a lot of what I remember hieroglyphics to look like. I thought this was all pretty interesting because I've always wondered where exactly poetry originated from and what it looked like.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment